Application for Dancers and Musical Performers at the 2022 Folkmoot Summerfest: An International Dance and Music Festival
Folkmoot has started the process of looking for groups for Summerfest 2022. Please read the following information and click the application link below to apply.
All submissions will receive a preliminary review to assess quality and consistency with the Festival’s mission and values. The high standards of excellence to which Folkmoot adheres, in addition to the limited number of performance spots available from year-to-year, make the selection of performing artists a highly competitive process. Qualified submissions will be brought before a Group Relations Committee for further consideration.
IMPORTANT: We receive hundreds of submissions from artists each year, therefore artists will NOT be contacted unless the Festival is interested in pursuing performance possibilities.
To apply to as a group appearing at the Annual Folkmoot Summer Festival, please follow this process:
- Fill out the application, linked from the button below.
- Review our conditions of participation, below.
- Ask that your group is reviewed by Folkmoot’s Group Relations Committee.
- Pending approval and invitation, sign a participation agreement and submit to Folkmoot staff.
- Prepare travel arrangements and work with the Folkmoot staff to apply for visas if necessary.
- Provide a description of your dances, the origins of your dances, perhaps the regions from which they come-any information you think would help us understand your group’s presentations.
Conditions of Participation:
Folkmoot USA, a CIOFF festival, has been designated by the Legislature and Governor of our State as “The Official International Festival of North Carolina.” Visitors from all across America attend the festival. We take great pride in being a festival of friendship that hosts high-quality folk groups.
Key items in the Folkmoot USA Conditions of Participation:
Groups can choose to arrive on July 28th or 29th, 2022, but no later than July 29th.
- Groups depart on July 31st.
- Groups must fly into Asheville Regional Airport (AVL, Charlotte International Airport (CLT), Atlanta International Airport (ATL), or the Greenville International Airport (GSP).
- Each group is responsible for providing its own transportation to the airports listed above.
- All group members should be at least 16-years-old.
- Groups must remain under 30 participants total, including musicians, directors, and performers.
- Live music is required. Folkmoot does not accept groups with recorded music.
- Groups are housed hostel-style with two rooms per group, males, and females in separate rooms, at the Folkmoot Friendship Center.
- Four meals a day are served each day in the Folkmoot Friendship Center’s cafeteria.
- Folkmoot USA will also provide housing and transportation during the festival.
- No other reimbursements are provided by Folkmoot USA.
- Please continue reading for more detail on Folkmoot USA’s Conditions of Participation.
Application for Craft and Food Vendors for the July 30, 2022 Folkmoot Summerfest International Festival Day
Vendors are required to submit the following by July 01, 2022.
A completed and successfully submitted online vendor application OR completed and signed hard copy vendor application. Online applicants will receive an email confirmation of their successful submission. Hard copy applications will receive a letter via U.S. mail or email confirming receipt of application.
Three (3) to six (6) color images of the work applicant intends to sell and at least one (1) booth image. Images submitted with hard copy applications will not be returned to the applicant. Digital images are preferred and are useful in festival promotions. Digital images need to be Identified in the title with the applicant’s name or business name. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A non-refundable application fee of $25 must be added to the booth fee. Both the application fee and booth fees are paid with the application.
If an applicant is not accepted, the vendor fee will be refunded minus the $25 application fee.
Failure to meet the application deadline may result in rejection of the application.
Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance.
Vendors must apply each year. Acceptance in previous years does not guarantee acceptance.
Folkmoot USA reserves the right to deny any application.
In order to ensure quality and integrity of Folkmoot USA events, a committee selects vendors based on a set of criteria that include: quality (including booth and presentation), craftsmanship, uniqueness, authenticity and fit for festival audiences. The committee reviews all applications and selects vendors who best meet these criteria. Handmade jewelry, pottery painting, quilts, furniture and other arts are encouraged. Ineligible items include, but are not limited to: crafts made from store-bought kits or molds, commercial reproductions, manufactured items that have been assembled and any trademark imagery.
We are also seeking entertainment that includes strolling performers for which there is no vendor fee.
Many Cultures Day, Saturday, July 30, 2022 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
With a 38 year history, the Folkmoot USA International Day has a long established audience. The 2019 festival welcomed 25,000+ guests who enjoyed 80+ vendors, two stages with continual performances by Appalachian and international Cultural performers, free international kid craft area, community dance lessons, locally crafted beer, and many food trucks.
VENDING AT FOLKMOOT USA 2022 SUMMERFEST
Vendors selected to participate in Folkmoot Summerfest will initially receive an agreement form by email or post mail confirming funds paid and requesting agreement to terms.
Booth numbers, entry/exit information and other specifics for the day of the festival will be sent out as it gets closer to the festival.
- Booths must be staffed for all event hours.
- Events go on rain or shine unless extraordinary weather presents a safety issue.
- Vendors are not allowed to sell water – Folkmoot USA is the only water vendor.
- No pets allowed.
- All vendors are expected to be open during the hours listed above unless they are notified by Folkmoot USA personnel.
- Vendors are encouraged to bring assistants to help manage their booth when crowds increase.
- Vendors will receive a 10’X10’ space unless purchasing multiple spaces.
- Applicant fees can be paid:
- By cash at the Folkmoot USA office (112 Virginia Ave., Waynesville, NC 28786)
- By credit card on the application page on Folkmoot.org
- By bank check made payable to “Folkmoot USA” and mailed to Vendor Coordinator, P.O. Box 658, Waynesville, NC 28786.
- No refunds for cancellations after July 1, 2022.
- No refunds for inclement weather. Please be prepared for all weather conditions.
- Folkmoot USA will assign booth locations to each vendor. Please understand that vendor placement is subject to change if there are changes to the site plan.
- Vendors are responsible for bringing their own tent to fit a 10’X10’ space. Vendors can apply for one (1) or two (2) contiguous spaces. Booth spaces will come in ten foot increments only.
- Vendors may not trade, switch or set up in another area.
- International Day spaces are on asphalt or sidewalks.
- No space will be held without a completed contract and full payment of the booth fee.
- The following factors impact vendor placement on the event site: Product type (our goal is to limit the number of vendors who sell similar products and to place vendors who sell similar products in different areas of the event site) and food vendors next to vendors selling fiber art (due to the damage that could occur to fiber from food smoke or smell).
- Any special needs requests must be included on the vendor application. Folkmoot USA accommodates special needs on a case-by-case basis. If Folkmoot USA incurs charges due to your participation in our events, charges may apply.
- Saturday, July 30, 2022 beginning at 6:30 am.
- All vehicles must be removed by 9:00 am since the town of Waynesville sets up water barricades at 9:30 am which will make accessing or exiting your vendor space by vehicle impossible.
- Vehicle unloading space will be near but not necessarily directly in front of an assigned booth at the event site.
- Vendors will be permitted 30 minutes for unloading, so plan this part before you enter the vehicle unloading area.
- In order to efficiently and equitably accommodate all participants, these guidelines will be strictly enforced.
- Booths must be set up and operational 10 minutes prior to event start time.
Booth Operations Guidelines
- Vendors must restrict activities to their booth space.
- Food vendors shall provide adequate trash receptacles with trash bags outside its premises.
- No subletting will be permitted, nor can the vendor assign the contract to another party without the permission of Folkmoot USA.
- Vendor booths must be fully operational at the time the event officially opens and remain fully operational until the event closes at the end of the day.
- Raffles are not allowed.
- Folkmoot USA’s insurance will not cover personal property, so vendors should obtain their own insurance.
- Playing music from your booth is prohibited.
- Vendors may sell ONLY the type of work Folkmoot USA has invited them to sell (indicated on agreement).
- Folkmoot USA encourages vendors to perform ongoing demonstrations within their booths.
- Folkmoot USA cannot act as a bank to provide change to vendors.
- Vendors must comply with all logistical regulations outlined by Folkmoot USA.
Packaged Food Products
- Vendor must adhere to Haywood County Department of Public Health guidelines pertaining to food sampling. Please call the Haywood County Department of Public Health at (828) 452-6675 for more information.
- Vendor cannot offer samples outside their booth space without prior approval from site coordinator.
- Electric service is available to food service/trucks only, who have been approved by the Haywood County Environmental Services Department. Each should bring extension cords, minimum of 100 feet in length, with wire sufficient to carry their required voltage – Maximum 15 amp circuit per vendor. We highly recommend #12 UL Approved extension cords. Generators are not allowed unless approved in writing by Folkmoot USA one month before the event. We encourage the use of silent generators if possible.
- Water service is not available
- Phone lines are not available.
- Dedicated WiFi service is not available. Vendors needing a reliable internet connection should plan to provide their own hotspot service.
Booth Clean Up
- Vendors may not begin to dismantle or remove booths before 4 pm
- Vehicles are NOT allowed on-site until 15 minutes after 4 pm.
- Be aware that pedestrians will still be present on the Folkmoot Summerfest grounds during breakdown.
- Vendors must take home their entire booths – including cardboard, carpet, display racks, storage containers, and decorations.
- Trash must be removed from the event site prior to departure.
- All booths must be completely broken down by 5:30 pm. Any vendors failing to completely clean up their booth areas or vendors who are late in completely clearing their booth may be charged a cleaning fee.
Taxes & Insurance
- Vendors are responsible for all local, state and federal taxes.
- Vendors assume all responsibility for the conduct of their operations including, but not limited to: obtaining liability and general coverage insurance – and ensuring all vendor activities adhere to local and state ordinances and regulations.
- Folkmoot USA does not carry insurance nor do we pay any taxes on behalf of vendors.
Please note that vendors who fail to comply with or repeatedly violate these guidelines may be expelled and/or not be invited to apply in future years. Folkmoot USA reserves the right to amend these guidelines as needed. In the event of a dispute, the decision of Folkmoot USA will be accepted as final.
Questions? Call 828-452-2997 or email email@example.com for a faster response.